Thursday, October 26, 2017

Day 26 - OctPoWriMo: Meditation, First Foray

Image from Public Domain
psychology.com


Meditation, First Foray

Our mantras chosen at random from a basket
It was my first time at group meditation
I was one of a dozen invited to attend

The leader modeled the mood, set the tone
Her velvet voice urged finding our way to say
Our mantras chosen at random from a basket

The mantra I held was Shan-ti
Each recited their unique phrase or word
It was my first time at group meditation

Energy emanated from the circle
I felt a peace I’d been seeking for so long
I was one of a dozen invited to attend



Today's theme: A once and unruly mind

Suggested form: An invented form called Cascade. Each line of the first stanza is repeated as the last line of the successive three stanzas.

9 comments:

  1. sounds like it was a beautiful experience for you? did the teacher tell you what Shan-ti means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Lili. I don't remember, so maybe not. xoA

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that Shanti means peace in hindi? I know because I sang a musical composition named Shanti a few years back.
    I'm not surprised you felt peace afterwards!

    I'm glad your first foray was as successful for you with meditation as it was with the cadcade form. Yours flows effortlessly, which is no small feat!

    I remember doing group yoga and feeling that energy fill the room as everyone did some meditation at the end.

    You described it very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. No, I did not know Shanti meant "peace". It sure was what I needed at the time. Interesting how life works out. Thank you. xoA

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it was a positive situation. I sometimes find groups to be intimidating and judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing, Cara. Our leader was experienced and most of the people knew her from the yoga classes she taught. That may have made a difference in the group's readiness (or mentality). xoA

      Delete
  5. It does feel really peaceful. Love it, Annis.

    ReplyDelete