Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 17 - OctPoWriMo 2013: Double Dutch



The prompt for today asked us to think about games that we've played in our lives. I go back to spring and summer childhood nights when the sound of the ropes hitting the pavement punctuated the jump rope ditties we sang out.
 


Double Dutch

Thunk, thunk, swoosh
Down in the Valley
Thunk, thunk, swoosh
Where the green grass grows
Thunk, thunk, swoosh
There sat Sally
Sweet as a rose

If I had a nickel
For each time Sally sat
In the valley
Thunk, thunk, swoosh
And we jumped
Sweet as a rose
‘Tween the double ropes
Thunk, thunk, swoosh
deflected our feet
Left and right
The cadence
Our heart beats
In the air

If I had a nickel
I’d be yours
‘Til soda pops

8 comments:

  1. I loved the musicality and movement of this, which helped to conjure the memory as if it were my own. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shah. The jump rope rhyme would not be quieted. xoA

      Delete
  2. I could barely handle one rope as a kid! Double dutch! This has a wonderful rhythm and the sounds...thunk, thunk, swoosh! I could see the kids jumping...! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I was hoping the sound would help convey the jumpers' action. xoA

      Delete