Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 6, OctPoWriMo 2013: Relocation 1973



The Day 6 prompt was to deal with something that makes you nervous, gives you butterflies in your stomach. My poem for today recalls an incident from the past that no longer makes me nervous. But, it is still with me.












Relocation 1973

Bruised blueberry tears
From windowpane eyes
Darken my breasts
Heart hammers
Stomach somersaults
Brain bellows

What roadblock will today bring
            Sorry we just rented that apartment
            Your kids are too young
            Your kids are too old
            You need a bank account or cash
            to get that TV
            Sorry
            Sorry
            Sorry

What have I done
moving here
These people
do not know who I am
Nor
do
they
care.

5 comments:

  1. A very sad poem. I'm glad this experience is in your past, though the lines "What have I done / moving here" stays with me. For every time we move, we take risks. We are the outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sad time for me, Beth. But I gained a certain amount of strength from it. Thanks for writing. xoA

      Delete
  2. Wow...this is a gut-punch poem. Very powerful. The ending was definitely killer but I also have to say I loved the bruised blueberry tears...such an unusual but at the same time perfect image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I'm pleased that the emotion came through. xoA

      Delete
  3. Powerful. Beautiful imagery in the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete