Saturday, November 30, 2013

POTP: Waiting



Writing Prompt: What are you waiting for? Are you tired of waiting?



Waiting

The tedium of waiting
Fizzles into nothing
No consequence, no concern
When I am waiting in Mexico
Among easy-going bone-tired women

Who wait in a broken line
Stand on one foot then the other
Shift parcels, clutch pesos
Balance stacks of steaming tortillas
Mind children while watching for the bus

Waiting there fulfills its purpose
I observe and reflect, smile and connect
Utter small words in español
I notice a patience within, a peace
Unlike waiting at home




6 comments:

  1. "easy-going bone-tired women" I love that line and its seeming contradiction...which isn't a contradiction. Easy-going and bone-tired shouldn't fit together but they do...perfectly. I also like the alliteration you've tucked into the remainder of the poem. A vivid snapshot...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anna. Those patient Mexican women inspire. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this lovely poem that captures so well that slower pace and easy sense of community I've experienced all through Mexico and South America. I even liked how you worked the challenge of speaking a little Spanish into the poem. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just feel it when you're there? The waiting is not difficult or interminable, just a part of how it is. I love watching the people, and I do try to work a little Spanish. Thanks for your comments and encouragement, Beth. xoA

    ReplyDelete