Sunday, October 1, 2017

Day 1 OctPoWriMo 2017 - Because They Stood

Because They Stood

The grandmothers’ shoulders were broad
Cream-colored, sepia, walnut, and black
Sometimes ridges, like the edges
Of the furrows they tilled
Ribbonned their backs and shoulders
They supported the known world
Like Atlas held up the heavens
They stood proud and strong

On the broad shoulders of these wide-hipped women,
My grandmothers and their grandmothers,
On their convictions 
Their work
Their dreams
I stand proud and strong
Grateful to be here right now

My Nanaw and Me

15 comments:

  1. Such warmth and strength. I love the image of broad shoulders and wide hipped women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took today's prompt to such a lovely place. I really like the way the rhythm and meaning sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Annis, this poem speaks to the heart of women and the women that came before us. I feel it at a deep level. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The inherited strength cannot be erased with time. Loved the poem Annis. Very pretty grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Sunita. Yes, we don't always think of the inherited strength, but it's there inside all of us. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  6. your poem made me smile, and touched my heart..women supporting women YES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous- what a tribute to your grandmothers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. I appreciate you reading and commenting. xoA

      Delete
  8. A beautiful tribute to women before us.
    I like your comparison to Atlas. For, without women, how could the world go on?

    ReplyDelete